Saturday, November 04, 2017

Little Red Corvette


It was a wonderful 16th birthday for a truly wonderful girl. She celebrated all of it with just her parents--not friends, no party--but I think it was just about perfect for her. We went out for breakfast this morning (she and I were in the Corvette and Dave led in the Leaf), and then we went to Dragon's Lair (the comic book and game shop) where she found some good manga books and Dr. Who Clue. Next we just drove around a bit. In circles. In a parking lot. Wink, wink. Then we came home for a wee rest before heading out again to Thor Ragnarok. Now she's chatting with Uncle Ed and Aunt Susan, and when she's done she'll blow out the candles on her cake while we sing to her. I don't know if anyone will eat any cake tonight as we're all still pretty stuffed from the movies (dinner AND a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse).

Tomorrow she is is crewing a movie for one of her cinematic program compatriots, and I have to return the Corvette. It's going to break my heart. I love that car! Zaga and I took it out for a ride this afternoon while Dave and Jessie went to get her cake. I asked him if he wanted me to call and have him put on as a driver and then he could take her to get the cake in it, but he said no it's not his thing... How can a perfect, luscious, sexy, new red convertible Corvette Stingray NOT be someone's thing?!? But, whatever. Zaga and I drove out to the Oasis on the lake for a drink (diet coke for me), and we had fun valet parking the car. When we came back out, the valet had put it right in front at the end of a line of three cars: a Porsche, and *two* new red Corvette convertibles. I must admit it felt pretty cool to hand the ticket to a different, bored looking valet (who was clearly expecting to fetch a minivan or SUV for me), and to point to the line of cool cars and say "It's the one at the end with the top down".

________________


Cake is finished and it's time for bed. Hugs, smiles, and kisses made their rounds, and now we're all heading off to collapse into our eyelids. I can't you how glad I am daylight savings time ends tonight! My daughter's birthday was on my favorite day of the year this year.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I forgot to reset the alarm clock, so I have a whole hour to myself, woohoo!