Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Austin Bound

Last night in Las Vegas, heading back home for a family Thanksgiving before dawn has even cracked tomorrow. It was a good day, it was a good trip. I was somewhat reluctant to come (even though it was a big thing to get the invitation) because I was hesitant to leave my family right before the holidays. But this trip was an unexpected growth experience for me. On it I returned to my jubilant younger years when I loved to meet people and socialize and spend time with them. I contrast this pre-Thanksgiving time with last year's ore-Christmas time (the holiday party for Dave's company) and it's not just night and day, it's a different time stream. Last year I remember not wanting to talk to anyone and going off to basically hide in a corner while my husband trooped up to sing karaoke with everyone else. Talk about a reversal of roles! This year (this trip) I was enthused to meet new people, learn their stories, probe their ideas, experiences and philosophies, and to share mine with them. It's hard to reconcile myself then and now as being the same person.

So now I go home to my family whom I missed a lot even as I was having fun, and to socializing again--this time with known friends. Thanks to the past couple of days, I feel much more confident in my ability to enjoy it and not stress out. Thank you Zaga-Jackie for inviting me on this marvelous adventure!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Good for you!