Thursday, November 16, 2017

Bacon Ice Cream and Turducken Burger

We come down to the last day of the work week heading in to the weekend before Thanksgiving and a week-long holiday (9 days with the weekends) for the J. Today was a day with many moving parts. It started with dropping the J at school and going to ceramics class at the Art School at the Contemporary. Then I managed to get home for 15 minutes for a quick bite, and off with Zaga for a haircut.

Zaga took me to the person who cuts her hair, and when we arrived the first thing I noticed was that all the signs on the wall were in Korean. The second thing I noticed was that everyone in there was Korean--customers and staff. The guy who cut my hair did not speak any English. Zaga said she used Google translate to communicate with him, but the receptionist came and interpreted for me. Eugene, the stylist, did not wash my hair or even wet it--he dry cut it. Zaga compares him to a hummingbird lighting on your hair for a snip here and a trim there. It took him an hour, and at the end I had a third less hair without losing any length! He was pretty amazing--and never said a word to me. I like the cut  and am looking forward to seeing what it does after I wash it. There are so many different length layers that it might go all curly on me.

After the haircut was a full leg wax. It may sound silly, but because I'm starting to work out tomorrow and want to go in the pool and/or the hot tub at the gym, (I know, TMI!) I had to have the hairs on my legs ripped out from the roots. I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it here, but I spent almost the entire time on the table processing a UPS shipment of work from Atlanta to Texas for the upcoming A Fair of the Art. First I had to talk to Todd (I didn't scream at all). Then I was on-line on my phone entering the shipment. Then I had to call UPS to arrange for a pickup. I'm afraid I let loose a bit of a shriek squeak in the ear of the UPS representative when my esthetician was over enthusiastic about how much she could take from one (very tender) spot at once.

As parts were moving, Zaga dropped me off at the waxing salon and drove my car home for me. Dave picked Jessie up after school (a couple of blocks away from the salon) and they then came and got me so we could go see Justice League. Both in between haircut and wax, and wax and movie, I could've made it home, but then I would have just had to turn around ten minutes later and go back to the same area of town so it made more sense to do it the way we did. However it meant I/we had an hour between activities to hang out. Zaga took me for ice cream after the haircut at Lick and I had a scoop of the roasted beets and fresh mint (Clean, crisp garden mint flawlessly complements the slightly sweet, earthy flavor of roasted Johnson's Backyard Garden beets), and a scoop of breakfast bacon (Maple syrup adds a sweet contrast to the smoky delicious pepper bacon from our friends at Salt and Time). I kid you not; those were the flavors and the were INCREDIBLE!



After the wax Dave, J and I went to HopDoddy Burger Bar for dinner. I had to have the special burger: a turducken burger on a stuffing roll with cranberry sauce, tempura green beans, and fried onions, with a side of gravy. Apparently HopDoddy is also in California and this burger was featured on a local tv channel there. This was definitely the day of weird food for me! After dinner we strolled a couple of doors down to Dragon's Lair comics and games and payed a couple of games of Tsuro--they have a couple of demo-the-games tables. Dave and J each did a bit of shopping comic and book shopping too, and then it was time to head to the next parking lot down for Justice League at the Alamo Drafthouse Anderson Lane.

When we got to the theater and I got out my phone for the electronic tickets I discovered that the cherry on top of a really surreal day was that I had managed to buy tickets for two different movies at two different Alamo Drafthouses for the same time tonight. We saw Justice League--and really loved it--and we got rain checks for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. What a day!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Ahem. Ice cream? You don't get ice cream. Unless you want to watch your hemoglobin A1C rise...

Brenda Griffith said...

*sigh* I didn't realize that. I have been waiting for a referral from my doctor for a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes and weight loss, but they haven't sent it. I tried calling, but they were gone for the weekend (or not even in today). So I take the search into my own hands and I have found a couple of prospectives.

Bill said...

If it's sweet, if it's carbohydrate you only get a little of it, or none at all. Alcohol counts as a sweet. We're looking at rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, barley, pasta...not to mention candy and so forth. Me? I recommend some fruit daily; maybe an apple or orange or two. Not a pound of grapes. Limiting that will definitely help.