Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Raining? It's POURING!

Today was one for the record books! I had my last Wednesday morning ceramics class after my last 8:00 am piano lesson with a trip to McCallum to take Jessie to school in between. But those were the easy things. For big things, I finished up the web site for A Fair of the Art tonight including creating both an on-line emerging artist application and one for download. I also took in two more applications from established artists and two more from food trucks. Just as I was finishing up, I got a request from someone on HomeAway to rent our apartment... tomorrow through Saturday. Of course I haven't cleaned it since the last guests last weekend! Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow morning  (along with folding the laundry I didn't get to today, putting up the tombstones and the last of the Halloween skeletons in the garden)?

In a weird bit of déjà vu, I also have to decide--or at least think about--whether I want to do the replacement show for the Buyer's Market in Philly next February. Now that Nancy Vince isn't running it anymore, I am willing to consider it. I talked to another artist today who does it and he said he had a better show there last year than he did at the last winter American Made Show in DC. That show was pretty decent for me so I'm betting Philly would be pretty good too. It's not going to be a big show--500 exhibitors max--but it might be the right thing to do. My thinking is something along the lines of make money instead of spend money. But do I really want to get back into the big show thing again? Todd said he's game for anything so it's pretty much on me. There would be no chance of driving: I'd have to fly from Austin. Work would have to be shipped out and back--and I don't have a crate for it anymore. The display crate is still in storage out on the east coast, but I was just contemplating getting it shipped back here so I could have the display materials to use for the show the beginning of December.

Right now I'm signed up for the second level in the Master Spinning program through Olds College the same weekend as the Philly show. It's being held at Spry Whimsy in Wisconsin again (where I did the first level last year). If I did the show I'd have to cancel my class and change to an independent study course--which is possible for the first and second levels. I even know an instructor who I think would be willing to take me on. So I could have my cake and show it too.

So tomorrow I have much thinking and doing to do, and I also have to get with the marketing team for A Fair of the Art to do a big push on announcing that we're accepting applications from emerging (student) artists and to get the poster made up. I also need to follow up on musicians with the person in charge of that and get back to the food tracks that have asked to do the festival.

We are going on a little vacation right before Christmas and I am already thinking that I am really going to need it!


1 comment:

ellen abbott said...

you make my head spin.