Friday, October 13, 2017

Homeward Bound!

The more time passes, the more plans change. I was going to go home tomorrow starting at the god-awful hour of 4:00 am. But at noon I thought I'd just check to see of there was a flight tonight I could feasibly catch and a shuttle to the airport that would get me to it. There was, and there was! I couldn't change my ticket with an agent because Delta's hold time was *over two hours* to speak to a representative. I put in for a call-back when my place in the queue came up and went ahead and booked a ticket with my miles to get in at midnight tonight. When the agent called me back two hours later he cancelled my new ticket, changed the departure time of my old ticket to today's flight, got me Delta Comfort seats (which I had been unable to do), refunded the $6 charge I paid for the ticket, AND GAVE ME BACK 2500 MILES FROM THE ORIGINAL TICKET!

So now I am packed and waiting for the shuttle to take me on the first leg of my journey back to my sweeties. It's a beautiful warm fall day, and I'm listening to Bob Dylan playing from the speakers belonging to the University of Tennessee art student sitting next to me working on the chalk drawing for the dinner menu board. We're discussing American music from Johnny Cash to Roy Orbison and the Traveling Wilburys to Townes Van Zandt.

I am exhausted and brain dead (and NOT [entirely] because of last night's drinking!), and ready to be home. I met some people I would like to stay in touch with and see again, and I met some people I could do without. "Yes". "Right". "Okay". "Uh huh", like every comment the instructor made was to her personally. And maybe she thought it was as she had already taken several classes with him. I was okay until 2:55 pm when I was working on my big piece and asked if anyone still have blue glue out as everyone (else) had been cleaning up and putting tools and things away since 2:00. The talker said, "You shouldn't be doing that because the instructor wants to turn the kilns off at 3:00"... Our class was scheduled until 5:00, and the instructor said this morning that we could work until 4:00 then clean up from 4-5. I communicated that information to her, but by then I was so rattled by her admonishment and the bustling cleaning of everyone around me that I lost track of what I was doing and messed up my magnum opus for the week. Yes, my fatigue certainly contributed, but I felt rushed and pressured to finish because everyone else wanted to be done, and I let myself get caught up in their drama. After my firing failure (overfired and fallen wires), instead of doing anything more--even grinding or polishing--I just packed everything up and left.Whatever, shake it off. I'll remember the good parts of the week and let the rest go. 

Now it's time to go home and wake up tomorrow morning with my honey on our 22nd wedding anniversary. I do love me that man.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Happy anniversary!

ellen abbott said...

oh man, what a sad end to the workshop but I know what you mean, trying to finish up something when the energy around you has you rushing and unsettled. but at least the arrangements for home came out way in your favor.