Saturday, October 07, 2017

A Day of Travel

My dorm room at Arrowmont
What a surprisingly good day! Usually I don't like to travel because I don't like people, and traveling people irritate me more than most other people. But today I slept on the plane, had a good, leisurely, lunch in Atlanta (airport), and had a perfectly lovely chat with another woman on the shuttle from the Knoxville airport to Arrowmont School of the Arts in Gatlinburg. I'm not sure why I came in today because registration isn't until tomorrow and class starts Monday. But I'll use the time to spin, work on my website, work on the Fair of the Art website, and start contacting artists about participating. I think there are a couple of other people in the dorm where I'm staying, but I haven't seen anyone. It also looks like I don't have a roommate so I don't need to go out tomorrow and buy jammies (what a thing to forget to pack).

I also spent over an hour and a half on the phone tonight with another parent in the cinematic arts program. At first we were talking about the Fair of the Art. But then we got to chatting about our daughters, the program, filmmaking in Austin, networking, college, and then all the things we have in common. I think I have a new friend! Making friends is hard for me these days, what with the whole not-liking-people thing.  But now I might have two! One a year is not a bad number...

Now, like almost every night as I write my post, I am tired. Sitting in a plane, car, bus, and train all day was surprisingly exhausting. Maybe it was having to be around a whole bunch of people (Get Off My Lawn!). Off to sleep in my little dorm bed and dream of, oh, something pleasant.

2 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I wanted to take that class and was seriously considering it until half the house flooded. Arrowmont is a pretty cool place. and the people thing, yeah, I'm with you on that but I too have managed to make two new friends in the last couple of years but I still don't socialize much. and you brought your spinning wheel with you because you think the class won't occupy you enough?

Bill said...

Gatlinburg...I've been there. Will you get out to see the Great Smokey Mountains National Park at all?