Monday, October 16, 2017

Another Penultimate

The camera angle was weird as I was rushed taking the pic,
but here's my couch table!
Tonight was my penultimate wood and steel class at The Contemporary Art School and I managed to finish welding my couch table! I still have to clean up my welds next week and to decide how to finish the metal (it's raw steel so if I leave it as it is, it will rust). I've already cleaned up my previous welds a lot so they are all bright, shiny silver color--not the dark grey of the surrounding unpolished steel--so I don't think a clear coat would look nice with the contrast of the surfaces. However I'm not thrilled about painting it black either. But maybe I can find a a dark greyish brown that would look nice.

I also haven't decided how to finish the wood. I have a bit more sanding to do, but first I think I'll fill in the holes with the black resin. I also have to decide whether I want to route a design into the top and fill it with glass, steel, resin, or wood inlay. I most likely won't have time to do any of that in class next week, but that's okay as I have my own router and orbital sander to finish it up at home.

I spent today inviting artists to apply to A Fair of the Art and contacting guilds and art groups to share our application with their members. Tomorrow night is our meeting to assign tasks and I am really looking forward to handing the marketing--including twitter and Facebook--off to other people. I hope the posters are finished as I would like to distribute them tomorrow night too so other people can deliver them.

Tomorrow day I want to be outdoors a good part of the day. I have the Halloween decorations to install in the botanical garden. The tyrannosaurus rex will be joined by a bunch of other skeletons and a graveyard full of tombstones--I am going to try to get Zaga to help. We should also look at our bees. It was so beautiful out today (high of 72  or so and breezy) that it was a sin to stay indoors working on the computer. Tomorrow outside for sure!

Yesterday Zaga and I took most of our dogs to the dog park (Baxter stayed home) and at the end she bathed Jig and I bathed Gallifrey. They have the coolest stands for washing your dogs at the dog park! The dog walks up a ramp, you tie its leash to a post, and then you wash your dog without having to bend way over. I want to build one on the side of our house so Gallifrey can stay a clean, sweet boy.

Enough chatter, off to bed. I'm pooped!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Why not just keep taking the dogs to the park? Much more sociable.