Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Morning You Sure Look Fine

Coffee in the Alaska skyline mug ('cause to my wimpy now-southern self it feels that cold this morning), "A Long December" by Counting Crows (to continue the frigid theme) on iTunes. Last night I hauled the big black sweater (knit for me by my Father-in-Law) out of the depths of the closet and cuddled up in it. This morning I resisted turning the heat on to take the chill off (it was 62 degrees in the house) and am buried again in the sweater with a chenille throw over my legs and feet. I am reminded of my time in Chicago when the temps would dip in October and the powers that be wouldn't turn the heat on in the big buildings because there would be a few more days of Indian summer heat before winter settled in for good and they couldn't switch easily back and forth between heat and air conditioning (or they just wanted to save on utilities). Outside it's 41 degrees. I hope my orchids didn't die. I hadn't realized it would get so cold so soon (it's been in the 70's and will be 74 again tomorrow). Got to bring them in this week.

I never got around to posting about the field trip over the weekend--too busy at home. I didn't treadmill either, but I should have carried a pedometer yesterday as I did nothing but walk all day. While D was at CNN (no days off till the election has gasped its last), J and I cleaned and straightened the front porch, the front hall (there has been an old kitchen table in it for the past several weeks and you know how much stuff I can put on an empty flat surface...), the breakfast room, the kitchen, the living room, and the dining room. Unsurprisingly it took all day. The breakfast room has been my pseudo office for a couple of years, and I found bills and other papers from its inauguration as I cleaned up. I banished them all to the real office--and hope to get that great snarling pile of unusable room straightened out next weekend.

I did go over to the studio a couple of times over the weekend to fire and move stuff to there from the house. It, too, is clean, tidy, and spacious thanks to Becky, Dee, and Todd--even after the whirlwind that was 30 people-as-locusts! While we waited for pizza to be delivered Friday after the fieldtrippers had left, everyone put away all the materials--Becky is dangerously organized. Then we came over to our house and had lots of pizza and a couple of bottles of champagne. I think it's safe to say a good time was had by all--and we only needed a bandaid for one student (Todd went through three during clean-up, but the actual fieldtrip was safe).

Today, back to real life. There are 115 sheets of glass and 660 lbs of frit left to unpack and move into the studio. Before that, an article review, a firing, and ikebana, with another firing to follow. Tomorrow, more of the same. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives--too bad I never had the time or interest for soaps.


Bill said...

Why did the youth need a bandaid?

Brenda Griffith said...

Because, well, glass is sharp and she cut herself. Just a little nick--not even enough blood to make Becky sick.

Dee said...

lol it is amazing that with all the handling of strips, shards and bits nobody managed anything more. hell i get more cuts just looking thru the crates for a sheet of glass! ;P