Saturday, December 09, 2017

I Write SQL, Therefore I Am

There was more to this beautiful day than the writing of SQL queries, but that is what occupied my time for the past couple of hours. I took three years worth of the raw intake and outcome data from Austin Animal Center--a no kill shelter here in Austin--and put it up as a dataset in my workspace on data.world. From there I wrote some queries (with help from my spouse as a SQL refresher) that I'll use to make new tables, and the documentation I'm writing for data.world will go against this dataset. What does it say about you when you rush through your day (laundry, delivering a loom, Christmas presents and decorating, and making glass for orders) so that you can finally get on the computer and play with SQL? I'm honestly finding it as addictive as I did Diablo when I first started playing it. (Whatever happened to...?)

This is the last weekend at home before we go on vacation so I'm trying to get the house ready for the house sitter, the apartment ready for the renter, and Christmas presents ready for us so I don't have to wrap everything on Christmas Eve when we get back. This week is my big push for the tech-writing gig and I really want to do the minimum possible on non-writing activities during the day. But the dogs need to go to the dog park, bills need to be paid, orders need shipped, I need to work-out (I know, right?). It's a very needy week.

Before I dissolve into a whiny, needy, little puddle, I'm going to hie myself off to bed. I'll work more tomorrow.


1 comment:

Bill said...

I believe it's up to Diablo 4, though I could be very wrong.