Thursday, December 07, 2017

And Now We Have Snow!

 It has been a very long, very full day. The way this tech writing gig has worked over the past couple of days is that I get in an hour or so in the morning, a couple three hours in the afternoon, and then three four hours after dinner. It gets me a decent number of hours (especially given that I haven't had any full writing days yet), but I am pretty wound up by bedtime after the hours of intensely focused work. Tomorrow is the first full, uninterrupted, otherwise-unscheduled, writing day and I am looking forward to it. Much of my first day was spent installing software, getting accounts set-up, and beginning the organizational process. I also did a lot of concept review. Yesterday I didn't feel like I made much headway, but today I finalized the structure I'm using for the docs, the meta data, and the individual page format. Now I feel like I'm moving forward on the real meat of the writing.

Enough about work though. The real topic of interest tonight is snow! I have seen snow in Atlanta, and ice in Austin, but I have never seen fluffy white snow on the ground in Austin before. Dave said our botanical garden in the snowy night is beautiful, but I didn't make it out to see it--too busy writing. In typical southern fashion, school is closed tomorrow and Dave's company is suggesting employees stay home in the morning until the risk of icy roads is past. So we'll all be cozy together. We had a big fire tonight to celebrate winter and snow, and I think I'll go ahead and have one going all day tomorrow. There aren't that many times here where a roaring fire is more than decorative, but we're in one now.

Speaking of time, it's time to make my way under the down comforter so visions of SQL can dance in my head.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Keep the snow out of your technical writing, right?

ellen abbott said...

we even woke up to a snow covered landscape.

Brenda Griffith said...

Wow Ellen! That's amazing--snow by the gulf!

Dee said...

we had over 6" of snow! looked like i was back in ct all day friday! pyrs all loved playing in the snow sat morning and eventually i'll figure out imovie and post the more entertaining clips. and it's still hanging around even today...