Thursday, December 14, 2017

Day Four: Kicking Butt and Taking Names

The day picked up where the night of incoherence and fatigue left off. But in between the two was a good solid night's sleep with no four am wake-up calls to let out dogs. They either didn't need to go out, or they peed in the front hall. Frankly I don't care which. Sleep was more important last night.

Today began with putting together all the gift baskets for my secret pals and loading them into the car. Then I had a short ceramics class--I had three pieces that had been bisque-fired that I needed to glaze and that was all I did for class today. Because I finished in ceramics early I was able to get in to Discount Tire and get two new tires before I had to pick up Jessie from school. She had early dismissal today because of finals and she was released at one. I dropped off my secret pal gifts in the office, met J at the car, and took her for a quick Micky D's lunch before running her home and then hying myself to data.world for another afternoon of doc writing. Names were taken, butts were kicked.

It's ten pm, and I'm still coherent. I consider today a win. Tomorrow I will be at d.w all day. No interruptions. No breaks. No time off for good behavior. I don't know how far I'll get on the docs, but I know it won't be as far as I want. I can't complain though--this has been a pretty great fall for accomplishing things on time and under budget (where budget is applicable). There are a few things on my to-do list that I really should get to before heading off on the high seas, but there is nothing urgent that can't wait till the week after Christmas. Or later--that week is scheduled to be The Week Of High Fashion and Sewing... the arrival of 2018 is actually going to be a relief.

As I previously mentioned, I mailed all my Christmas gifts the other day, and now I am on tenterhooks waiting for my sister-in-law's gift to get to her. I thought it was a brilliant gift idea and I spent a lot of time, effort, and care on it. But now that it's off in the mail, I can't help but think she's going to open it and say, "What was she thinking?". I can't go into detail now because I don't want to give the surprise away in case she reads this post, but suffice it to say that the the first indication there might be a problem was when Dave and I got into his car at the end of the day on Tuesday (the packages has been in the car all day) and drove the packages to the post office and UPS for shipping. We both kept asking each other, "What's that smell?", and we finally figured out it was Jan's present. When we got to the post office I took the set of packages for there in and dropped them off, then I carried Jan's box next door to UPS and dropped it off. When I got back to the car Dave was appalled that I had actually mailed it. I don't know what he thought I was going to do, open it? It was meticulously packed and needed to be shipped then in order not to spend a weekend in transit (the contents are perishable, don't ya know). And I'm sure most of them are fine. But it was a bit smelly. I called her today to let her know it was on the way and to advise her to open it right away. And maybe outside.

Okay, bedtime for all good little boys and girls and me.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Oh, no...