Sunday, July 23, 2017

Back Home In Austin

They let me go! I was sure they were going to find a reason to make me stay another day, but they let me go! Of course it's not like I did anything with my newly-won freedom. I came home and slept a lot. And peed (I know, back to the TMI, but there's only so much sleep you can get when you have to get up every 1-2 hours to hobble-race to the bathroom).

Unlike Cynthia, I left the hospital without interacting with and learning a fascinating story with one single person who wasn't a caregiver... except maybe Ryan. Ryan was a young, bouncy man who would breeze into my room at meal times (without knocking) calling out "Room Service!" I shrieked and jumped startling us both when he came in with yesterday's lunch because he woke me from a sound sleep, and then I never saw him again. So no story there.

As they began processing my discharge this morning the doctor asked me what pain reliever worked for me and I said Dilaudid had and before I had a chance to follow up she asked if I would like to take Dilaudid IV home. Uh no. Hell the hell no. I might have looked so horrified that she thought I was totally against pain meds so she only gave me five Hydrocodone. I hope it's enough, but it probably will be. I've only had to take one so far.

Now I sit watching the Total Recall remake and munching on treat food, enjoying a few moments totally free of discomfort. Who knows, I might even feel up to knitting tomorrow!

9 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

A Dilaudid IV? Boy, you ARE hardcore... Hydrocodone and oxycodone make me nuts (literally, if there's a side effect, I get it). Oral Dilaudid (hydromorphone) in low doses is about the only one I can tolerate. Of course, we have the option here to use CBD if we like without worrying about being arrested. If I weren't so fussy about heading into a head shop in a wheelchair (no idea why), I think that's the route I'd take.

Just take it easy. Life will still be there in a few days.

Bill said...

See your primary care doctor on Monday.

Brenda Griffith said...

I have an appointment with the urologist Thursday. I don't have a primary care physician...

Bill said...

Ahem. Really? You SHOULD. How about a gynecologist?

Brenda Griffith said...

Nope. Haven't had one of them since I did the men-o-pause thing.

Brenda Griffith said...

I will get a primary care physician. I had one in Atlanta and had a full physical right be fore I moved. I hate finding new doctors.

Bill said...

You don't want a new doctor. Too inexperienced. You want an old doctor. Gray hair at the very least.

ellen abbott said...

I hate finding new doctors too. I had a great primary care doc and then he retired from private practice and went to work for an urgent care center.

Brenda Griffith said...

But you're in Califooooorniiiiaaaa! You would be the perfect grey haired old doctor and I would never trade you in! Why can't you be heeeeere? (I know: Why can't we be there--saw the deets on the house down from you that's for sale. Sweet.)