Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday... Already

Coffee in the Denver skyline mug as it was credited earlier in the week and not really used, "The Ice is Getting Thinner" by Deathcab for Cutie on iTunes. T-2 and counting for the Decatur Arts Festival. Today I fire the final pieces for the show--tomorrow is all about packing and designing display... and figuring out how I'm going to set-up in three hours on Saturday morning. Oh yes, and printing out price tags, business cards, etc.

Just a few short weeks ago I was in Vegas doing the ACRE show and I posted how set-up took 20 hours. Decatur is not Vegas, and a street fair is not a convention center show, but I am still concerned that I will have more than a little difficulty getting the tent up for the first time in two years, leveling all the pedestals for a street instead of a floor, and then putting up the work--all in three hours. The math just doesn't work (and "Long Division" by Deathcab for Cutie just came on... iTunes is psychic). Maybe it's time to completely revamp the display--no pedestals at all... I'll have to think about it.

Yesterday I stayed focused and on track and didn't stop to smell the roses or chat all day. As a result, I got all my work done by 5:00. I can't work like that. This week has shown me that I am at the point where I must have an assistant. I *can* do all the work myself, but if I do there is no time for any product or business development or client interaction at all--I spend all my time just producing work--or I work 70 hours a week.

That last paragraph is too introspective for this week. I just need to get through the weekend and then I can analyze and plan to my heart's content. Now I need to go see if the burglars stole my hand truck out of the shed too.

PS--They did. The list of items lost to the burglary just keeps growing. *sigh*

3 comments:

Bill said...

I often work seventy hour weeks; why can't you?

Anonymous said...

Hey, they had to have someway to take your stuff out of building. Didn't you know that they would rather use your tools and bring their own.

Now that school's out I bet you can get some summer help cheap. Remember tho that you get what you pay for. Check with your local high school for a future senior or graduating senior that is looking for summer work.

Just an idea. Good luck in Decatur.

We will be at Yellow Daisy again this year. Hope to get to see you.

MONYMAN

Mindy said...

I have a plan...sort of :-)