Thursday, October 11, 2007

Failure

Coffee in the New York skyline mug, "Don't Go To Pieces" by the Cars on iTunes. The front and back doors are open and it is CHILLY. It's the first morning I have noticed it to be significantly colder outside than in. Fall must really be here, it's only 52 degrees F (11 degrees C).

I failed to fountain. It's the first kilnforming project I've done that required relying heavily on glue--and watertight glue at that. I am just not comfortable with the leaking I'm getting and the wobbliness of the supports holding the middle stand-up in. Then there's the photography. FINALLY after taking all the photos for the article I found the self-timer button. Of course, I still couldn't get the flash to work at the end. Finally at 10:00 pm I threw in the towel and said better to have nothing than to have something half-assed.

I'm already concerned that the edits to my article in the last issue make me look like an idiot (all references to Bullseye glass were removed from the article--not by me but for reasons I deem legitimate--but nothing was put into their place so it looks like I just say "fuse a bunch of glass together" with no thought to compatibility. Oy.) Moving on...

iTunes is failing me right now. It's just too early for "We Need a Little Christmas" by Angela Lansbury (my spouse might argue that's it's ALWAYS too early, but that's another subject). Ah, "This Shirt" by Mary Chapin Carpenter. Much better.

Today I begin all the ordes that aren't due for another few weeks. I have decided to move the studio beginning a week from Saturday and plan an opening party/book release party for Saturday, November 10. It's an ambitious plan, but I think we'll be ready. Just need to get those pesky orders out of the way first (and the more I make up, the less I have to move. Heh.)

Now off to get the fuse load in and ship Ren's piece before making felt fish kits for J's school festival. And I'm going to close the doors-it's just too cold out there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mornin' brenda, your article in the last glass patterns reads ok and i like the discussion about your fusing schedules being the starting point since all kilns have their own ideas of the temps. there was another fusing project in there that doesn't even have an anneal cycle in it nor mention annealing! maybe you can discuss compatibility issues in the foundtain project. to help the wobbliness would a pair of glass blocks tack fused to each side help?

Brenda Griffith said...

I ended up using aquarium sealant to hold the little glass blocks to the side panels instead of tack fusing them as I used 3/16" plate for them instead of clear fusible. I was going to put in the alternative method of tack fusing (or at least reference it--I think I use it in the book and could point them there ;-).

Anonymous said...

It's cold there? Are there any witches wandering about, flying by, accosting children?

Anonymous said...

pointing them to the book for an alternative option for the little blocks is good ;) and you could mention that a discussion on the compatibility and coe issues of glass is in the book.

Brenda Griffith said...

I need to get the technical issues page for articles and book up on the Glass Incarnate website--along with a complete list of supplies for every project. Lark doesn't list actual product names in their books so I had to genericize there too, but I want to put up the actual glass I used (both in the book and the article) with the color numbers so people can really replicate if they want to.