Saturday, March 04, 2017

Transgenetic Goats, Trump, and Trevor Noah

Today in Austin it's rainy and cold, and after going out for Torchy's Tacos with Dave for breakfast, I have spent the remainder of the day hibernating. Sometimes it's good just to sleep. When I woke this morning I thought about the programming I saw on the science channel yesterday about the transgenetic goats whose DNA has had a gene from a spider inserted into it. The milk from the goats can be used to make dragline silk. You might ask, why not just farm the spiders? Apparently spiders are both territorial and cannibalistic, which cut way down on the silk production. Besides, goats are cuter than spiders. I wonder if Jessie would be afraid of a goat that's part spider as she is completely terrified of spiders. She said she wouldn't take care of goats if we got them here because it would mean going out at night when the tarantulas are out. Somehow I think going out to care for spider goats would be worse.

When I woke and remembered the goat segment I was so excited to tell Dave about it, but he was all, "Oh yeah, I saw that on the Internet." I was bummed because it's apparently old news, and I just now heard about it. Clearly I need to spend more time in different parts of the Internet. Parts where there is less Donald Trump and more transgenetic goats and dark matter (another segment on the show).

Alternatively I could just get cable tv and watch the science channel, HGTV, the Travel channel, the Discovery channel, the History channel, or BBC America! But no. I think there's even more Trump on tv than there is on the Internet, and I don't need to pay to be bombarded with it (though Trevor Noah would be a treat). Oh, hey! Trevor Noah is also available on YouTube! Well, that solves that question. Now off to see Logan at the Alamo Drafthouse and hope to have water (new hotwater heaters being installed now and all water is off) when we get home.

5 comments:

Bill said...

Is there something special about the Alamo Drafthouse?

Brenda Griffith said...

It's our local cool theatre that does custom video montage based on the film you're there to see and also does not allow late arrival, talking or texting during the film (they'll actually eject you). They also serve food and drink throughout the movie. They are my favorite local group of cinemas.

Bill said...

How's the food?

Brenda Griffith said...

Pretty good. I used to think it was awesome, but that was in comparison to the Movie Tavern in Atlanta which had really gross food.

Bill said...

I think that there's a similar place in Pasadena, but that's a bit too far to go for a film and a meal for us, most of the time.