Friday, March 03, 2017

More Garden Planning, and the Week Ends

I have a plan, and it is mine. I didn't draw this plan--I have Haley to thank for that, but it is mine nonetheless. To make it, we walked the land together, I marked where the beds, paths, bench, swing, pond, bog pond and bridge (yes, bridge) were to go, Bobby measured the circumference of all the beds so the stone can be ordered for delivery next week, and Haley followed us and captured all the measurements and did the drawings. This may not look like the most professional landscaping plan you've ever seen, but it gets the job done, and the space is going to be incredible. As I look at it, I'm going to increase the size of the topmost right bed to three times its current size, and I'll probably up the size of the pond a bit too.

The paper only shows the areas we are currently developing. And another 25% of the width to each side and that's the actual area. The bee hive area isn't shown but it runs along behind bed #4 on the left. Oh this is going to be a magnificent space! Dave doesn't think I can get it built before June... I'm planning on the beds and paths, and maybe even the pond and bog pond being in by the end of the month--mid-April tops. Using split-faced block to build the beds and a Bobcat to move the dirt will make all the difference in the world.

Plant selection has also been going apace--though I'm not as concerned about getting the beds filled with plants as I am getting them filled with cardboard, manure, dirt and weedcloth. Plants will come in good time--they are much easier to add than beds. Now back to the books (see all the little red flags for plants to consider?)...

3 comments:

Bill said...

Can't wait to see the photos! Will you be shooting the work daily, or hourly?

Brenda Griffith said...

Hah! I'm lucky to get it up weekly. It's very hard to get an overall picture of a half an acre, and I'm developing it all at once (so much for a slower, more thoughtful approach). But we're starting to lay out the Beds on Tuesday and I hope to post pics daily at least through the end of the week.

Bill said...

It might be worth documenting...