Saturday, September 16, 2017

What I Learn From My Child

Many (many) years ago I bought a greeting card that had a picture of a grinning (evil-looking, or was it just mischievous?) child on the face. The text read: "Children keep you young", with "But first they make you very old." on the inside. Never were truer words written.

My child is keeping me young right now with the music she introduces me too. Her latest offerings are from the album An Awesome Wave by a British group called alt-J. My J has an assignment to make an experimental film for her AV Production class (due in two weeks), and she would like to use one of the songs from the album in it. Part of the process of making the film is to obtain the rights to use any music you need for it. The film is to be shorter than the song she wants to use, nevertheless copyright will be strictly followed and permissions obtained, or the music won't be used. I really like her teacher. Now if I can just get her to get off her butt to see what she needs to do to obtain the rights.



The music she has picked is very eclectic--it is not at all like anything you'd hear by Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry. In fact Jessie doesn't, in general, like female vocalists. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at her current musical taste as she introduced her father and me to the spoken word poet and author Shane Koyczan when she was about 12. We were blown away by her mature taste back then. As with Koyczan's work, alt-J's music can be very disturbing--the videos for it even more so. (J hadn't seen any of the videos when I asked her.) At her age I liked the Beach Boys and read novels with women in ripped bodices draped over Fabio on the covers (remember the movie Romancing the Stone?). Jessie reads manga and listens to alt-J. I know who's cooler. I can't wait to see what she's like when she's my age.


3 comments:

Bill said...

Me neither.

ren said...

you know, i've always thought that jessie and i would get along. i love alt j (and also don't really watch their videos) and i am currently reading “princess jellyfish.” please to get jessie to guest post her manga reading finds at some point.

Brenda Griffith said...

Ren, you are her hero, always have been! She thinks it's so cool that you illustrate comics for a living--and she still likes the Happy, Happy Mix you sent me years ago (I still play it :-).