Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Cows and Zebras and Donkeys Oh My!

It's been a long time since I put in a 15-hour day, but today was such a day. I went from a piano lesson at 8:00 to ceramics where I unsuccessfully threw nine bowls. The only thing I succeeded at there was trimming and pulling a handle for a mug I threw last week. After ceramics was a run to Woodcrafters to see about a hand plane for the table top from Monday's wood and steel class. Turns out that's not the right tool for the application--I need to use a belt sander after all. But I did get some good-looking inlay resin and stone material made by Inlace.

When I got home I had just enough time for a quick bowl of tortilla soup and the last of the incredible Cheez Whiz ribeye sandwich filling over tater tots. Dave came home early, we kissed in passing, and I was off to get Jessie for the biggest activity of the day: taking her to film footage for her experimental film which is due Friday. Don't you love kids? Right before the deadline they tell you they need something from you. Something which requires a lot of time or money or both. I guess I got off lightly this time as it only cost me five hours of time and money for gas (and McDonald's for her for dinner).

I picked her up from school at 4:00 and we headed to a friend's ranch so she could get footage of his zebra... I kid you not. Footage of the zebra turned into footage of the cows who swarmed our car when we arrived (have you ever seen a swarm of cows? I'm from Montana and it was still a bit unnerving), footage of the miniature donkeys Sebastian and Benjamin, footage of the zebra Gabriel, and footage of Andrew using his flamethrower... Jessie was ecstatic--especially when he let her use it. I don't think Gabriel, Sebastian or Benjamin were too thrilled--they scarpered off as soon as he brought it out.

After much fun with Andrew we headed down to South Congress to get more footage of the lights, the rain, and... cowboy boots. I wish I had lower arches as I CANNOT wear Old Gringo boots--in spite of the fact that I am definitely an old gringo. The ankles are just too tight and I can't bend my feet enough to squeeze through them. Jessie, however, had no such problems and was pretty sporty in my favorite pair: the Day of the Dead boots in red and black. We closed down Allen's boot shop and drove home in the rain.

When we arrived home I booted Jessie out of the car and waited for her place to be taken by Dave. I then whisked him off to a romantic late supper at Hanabi where we had Udon and Tempura (and hot sake--don't forget the hot sake) inspired by the rainy, cool (relative terms) weather.


Now we're home, I'm posting, and Dave's having Alexa play All Your Favorite Bands by Dawes on Spotify for me. He's ready to take up guitar again and this is the song he wants to start with. This is a life, a good life. May all your favorite bands stay together.


1 comment:

Bill said...

Donkeys are the bomb.