Saturday, September 30, 2017

Happy Birthday To the Love Of My Life

Wow, this has been a long and exhausting week! And now that Dave has opened all his presents, I can write about the seven Hawaiian shirts I made him for his birthday. I picked the number seven because there was no way I could do 52 (I don't even have that much shirt fabric) and seven is the square root (rounded) of his age. He's a geek, it was a good choice.

Last time I made him shirts for his birthday I made 37 for his 37th. Those shirts (that are still intact) are now all super soft and worn out. All you have to do is look at them wrong and they'll rip. But we're not going to throw them out. I am deciding between weaving them into rag rugs or sewing them into a quilt. I think I'll do an art quilt out of the leftover scraps from all the shirts as the fabric will be stronger and will hold up.Then I can make rag rugs from the actual shirts as it won't matter of they are soft and worn--they'll feel amazing on the feet. Or maybe I'll take one square from each of the shirts and make quilt blocks from the squares and some additional fabric (maybe more scraps), and then make rugs from the leftover material. Joy of the "and" Dave would say.

Whatever I do with the old shirts, as I make new ones Dave is swapping out the old ones in the closet with the new. Right now he has eight new ones from me and one from his parents. I didn't manage to finish all the new ones in time for his birthday as I could only work on them when he wasn't home. So I finished up everything but the buttons and buttonholes last night before he got home from work. After he opened presents today, I did all the buttonholes and some of the buttons, and tonight while watching Jackie Brown I sewed on the last of the buttons.

Now I'm too full of the wonderful lemon curd cake Zaga made for Dave for his birthday to post more. I'm going to waddle off to bed and collapse in a sugar coma. That cake was incredibly, deliciously intense!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Hooray for Aloha shirts!

ellen abbott said...

36 shirts for for his 36th? I don't think I own that many shirts! I tried to buy a Hawai'ian shirt when we went this summer but all the women's shirts were rayon or some combination that needed to be dry cleaned while all the men's shirts were cotton. so I bought a small men's shirt. you could make me one if you feel so compelled.

Brenda Griffith said...

So Ellen, do you like black with red koi cotton batik? How well does the small men's one fit? :-)