Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Bed

The night winds down and I listen to the sound of two girls giggling and the fan running in our room for white noise. Dave has already retired for the evening and I need to do the same, but I was lost in the bed project all evening and didn't get to my post till now. I am happy to say that after many days of practicing Sketch-up, studying woodworking techniques, watching innumerable YouTube videos on woodworking, and pouring over pictures of beds on Pinterest and Houzz, I have finally put together a solid rough out for the new bed. It's big, heavy, and will be unique in both its quirky design and asymmetrical flow. I made a list on Trello of all the elements we want in it: lights, built-in charging stations on both sides, electrical outlets on both sides, beverage nooks for his diet coke and my water, a small jewelry catch-all, places for Kleenex and lotion, support for sitting up, small night tables, a big shelf, and a drawer or two.

The construction will include mortise and tenon joints with drawbore pegs in ebony or another dark hardwood, and a drawer with dovetail through joints and ebony sides. Further design elements that I am considering are ebony inlay and glass cutouts.

But for the rest of tonight, my designing will be done behind my eyelids. G'Night from Montana!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Smooth or rough surfaced?

Brenda Griffith said...

Glossy smooth, but with the natural edges of the log on the head and foot boards.