Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Time To Make More Shirts

Another day in the summer paradise comes to an end. It's still beautiful, and it's still relaxing, but the day was less than optimal as I spent the morning getting fitted for a crown on the tooth I broke before coming up here, and I spent the afternoon increasingly aching as the anesthetic wore off. I did no gardening, nor spinning, nor cleaning. I didn't even start working on the bed again until about an hour ago. Instead I read all day, finishing the second book in a steampunk magic series by Devon Monk (Age of Steam). I started book three tonight, and even though the plot line is set out for eight books, the series is stalled after #3 while the author writes in her other series. It's a pity as I love these books.  I like all of her books, and I especially appreciate the distinct voice these have from her other work. The first one reminds me a lot of Deadwood, and the second one has a very Firefly vibe. Steampunk in the old west that never was kind of thing with magic and the Strange.

It's the second week of our time here and so far I think I have a good balance of things occupying my time. I feel a bit unsettled by not going full out on have to's every day, but I am doing my best to relax and enjoy it. Now that the girls are here I have put myself at their disposal to take them out to the lake or wherever else they want to go. I'm spinning, planning woodworking projects, and soon will be fusing the very cool glow-in-the-dark pigment I got into glass for tiles and path pebbles. I'll also get the big garden completely weeded. Next year I'll have to have the house either painted or sided (it's cedar and not in the best of shape), and I'll finally put in the rock garden in the front where the old porch used to be. But for this year, I am not doing any major projects here. The most I think I'll do is re-stain the deck floor because I can do that with a roller in a couple of hours.

While I'm thinking of things to do, I found the box of shirt fabric for Dave's Hawaiian shirts that I left here two years ago and I have a pattern, a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. Think I'll get some shirts cut out and ready to sew up when we get home. I haven't made shirts for Dave since we last lived in Austin. I made him 38 shirts for his 38th birthday. I won't be making 51 this year, but I bet I can whip up a dozen or so. For each one I make, I can retire one from his closet and turn it into material for a quilt (yet another project I'd like to get to). All this talk of projects has made me sleepy. Off to bed!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Are you sure he's going to be willing to give up those great shirts?

Brenda Griffith said...

They are mostly getting so worn now he can't wear them. They are beginning to fray and fall apart, buttons have disappeared, and unmendable tears abound.

Bill said...

Sadness and woe...