Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Threesome!

This is not another gardening post. This post is all about two fine gentlemen from my alma mater (the University of Montana) who discovered something that upsets what we learned in high school biology. Remember learning about lichens? No? Well lichens, we have been told, are an organism made up of an algae and a fungus living symbiotically. But now two researchers from the UofM have discovered that some, if not all, lichens are a threesome! They are composed of TWO funghi and an algae. Can you believe it? The University of Montana is doing cutting edge biology right there in Missoula Montana.

Another thing they are doing is offering Master Beekeeping certification both for and not for credit. And it's all online too. This is truly the age of miracles and wonder. Now there is a Master Beekeeper program offered through the Ag Extension at Texas A & M. And it looks like a fine program. But I just can't see having to have had bees for a full year before being able to get the apprentice level in the program and then having to wait another full year before doing the journeyman level work, and then spending two more years on the master's. The U of M course can be completed by doing the work--not waiting for time to pass. And I'm too old to sit around waiting for time to pass. While Texas' course looks really great in terms of knowledge learned, it also looks like overkill. Really, PhD programs are four years, Master's programs are one to two.

And now back to the garden! There isn't much to say--we had a rain day today so no workers. But I did get the first two bed drawings done with a layout of all the plants planted so far. Tomorrow, barring rain, will see the completion of the current planting. Whee! The fourth beehive arrived today and I will put it together tomorrow as well as pulling out the first two (one Langstroth, one Flow) and assembling the Flow. My remaining hive is a TopBar and it's coming from Wicked Apiary along with a Nuc of bees. Zaga is getting her hive and Nuc the same day, and then there will be five.

Now there are eyelids and I want to fall into mine.

4 comments:

Bill said...

An academic masters degree takes two years after four years of college and three of high school. A guildsman who becomes a master does it after five years or so of apprenticeship and at least three of journeyman.

Besides, I thought age teaches you patience rather than stripping it away?

Brenda Griffith said...

A Master's in Linguistics at the University of Chicago is a one year program. Yes, it's after four years of college, but the college course are completely unrelated--they're just there as background to show you can get through college and are ready for graduate school. I have already completed that academic background. I have also done the research and work to publish two books--again, background. So what I do for beekeeping is somewhat built on what I have already done academically--and frankly, I think a second Master's should be easier than a first. That may just be me, but I really don't get waiting for a year for waiting's sake. I can learn as much in a shorter period of time as I could in a longer amount of time if I put my mind and attention to it--and I should be allowed to do it--just like the Master's in spinning.

Bill said...

At a guess, I think that they want you to watch the hive through a full year in terms of the seasonal changes.

Brenda Griffith said...

Yes, but you can't be working on your Master's while watching the hive for the first year--that just seems silly to me. Why make you wait to begin the education until you've already been doing it (potentially wrong) for year?