Friday, April 07, 2017

Plants Anyone?

And thus ends the Great Plant Spree of 2017. Between the Native Plant Society (who also had tents set up at the Wildflower Center and were selling their own plants there) and the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, I added 127 plants to the collection which brings my total number so far to 566 plants covering about 185 different varieties. They will all be planted (except maybe the cacti) Monday. No, not by me. I will place, and I will water, but I am not planting. I have minions. :-) Even though I am (mostly) done adding species and varieties for this year, I do not have all the plants on my list. Nope. There are still 157 plants on the want list... Next year. Sadly, I think I'll run out of room.

Today my spouse was my plant Igor and carried the three boxes of plants I bought from the Native Plant Society to the car. That left 85 plants for me in the cart--and they all fit. Can I pack or can I? I forgot to get a picture of the Great Packing while I was standing in line to check out, but I wager a guess that I had more plants in a cart than anyone else there. Wusses.

The only sour spot to the day happened when I first got to the Wildflower Center, Dave and I went in separate vehicles as he took J to school and I took the cart to LBJWC. When I got there there were already cars parked along the street for a couple of blocks. I parked at the end and then pulled my cart all the way to the main parking lot--where I found four open spots in a row right at the end. I knew we'd (Dave would) be carrying plants to the car throughout the morning and I didn't want him to have to do a block at a time so I put my cart in one of the spots with a big note on it that read: "Spot Taken, Please Do Not Move Cart!" and I raced off to get my car. By the time I got back, someone had moved my cart off to the side and all the spots were taken. I didn't think plant people would do that. Dave said I shouldn't have expected anything else and I was in the wrong for trying to take the spot when I didn't have my car there. I'm just glad I couldn't be 100% sure which space it was or I might have done something mean to the car.

The rest of the day was spent lazing (and napping, literally) with the spouse, eating pizza and drinking champagne. And the weekend hasn't even begun yet!

6 comments:

Bill said...

May I inquire who is going to be in charge of maintaining this arboretum?

Brenda Griffith said...

Oh please don't! I am already having reservations about that part... I am great with the planning and the doing, I have a few issues with follow-through maintenance.

Bill said...

May you find the strength and character to carry this out to your entire satisfaction.

Brenda Griffith said...

You are very zen today, Bill!

Bill said...

More like "ill". But that's a different post.

Brenda Griffith said...

So sorry to hear you are under the weather. Hope you feel better soon... :-(