Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another Kiln? Genius!

Coffee in the New York skyline mug (yes D, I switched for a Gogol Bordello theme), "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello on iTunes. Gogol Bordello is a Ukrainian gypsy punk band based out of New York. They're playing at the Variety tonight and D and I are going to see them. Live music in a club two weeks in a row, think I'm going through a mid-life crisis? Naw.

It's my favorite time of year. I love fall with its cool mornings and sharper light as the heat and haze of summer fade away. The studio is nice and cool at 70 degrees when I arrive in the morning--even after heating up from the kilns the night before. Obviously "cool" is relative. If I were still in Montana it would be a downright midday balmy temp. But here in the south after the dogs days when the temps don't dip much below that outside in the night and the studio is almost 80 first thing every morning... Bliss. Chilly even!

Much to do in the studio today--including looking at getting another kiln. Oh I'm not planning to rush out and buy a new one, but if someone decides to sell a used one in my area I won't dismiss it out of hand. While Bettina and Bertha are great for big production loads, I am finding myself cramped on space for small fix loads like a re-slump of one piece, or a fire-polish of another, or a repair fuse of another. With the increased number of pieces being fired every day I have a commensurate increase in pieces that need a bit of tweaking--and tweaking delays shipping in an already tight schedule.

Okay, almost 9:00. Off to the studio!

A final note:
iTunes played a really weird random mix this morning. I started with Gogol Bordello and then it went into "Decoration Day" by the Drive By Truckers, then "Night, Pt. 1: Snow" by George Winston, and ended my blogging set with "Shake Your Groove Thing" by Peaches and Herb... I am clearly getting used to the new Genius playlist generator in iTunes 8.0 and have forgotten what really random means. I think I'll start Geniusing my morning posts...

2 comments:

Bill said...

I run WinAmp randomly at my office, with about 4700 pieces of music, and it comes up with some odd combinations...

Dee said...

isn't it odd that we think 70 is chilly? while montana is unarguably a tad chillier than connecticut, thinking 70 is chilly just isn't right, just like needing the ac on in april ;P
D