Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm a Square

No coffee, no music--just the sound of J's whuffling breath as she sleeps in the room next door, and nothing written either. But I did a square melt. I wanted to run a couple of tests. First I wanted to see if I could force a melt, excuse me, coulee (pronounced coo-lay) into a cornered shape. The answer is yes. It didn't hurt that I used 3 lbs of glass for an 8-inch square (I was doing a test for the sink). It is still too hot to take out yet, but I have High Hopes (and I can sing it for you if you would like). Second, I wanted to see how the colors I picked for the sink work together. Maybe it's not too hot after all... let's go see if I can get a picture... nope. Tomorrow.

The sky begins to lighten. Where does the early morning go now? I have been up since 5:30 and haven't done anything but putz. At least I have coffee now (thanks to Dave--he not only made it he brought me a cup) and music--nice, soothing George Winston. Today a run to ULine to pick up packing materials, a slump load, and A BOX (really, really, really this time). Oh yes, and the dogs to the groomer (ever tried to bathe a hydrophobic 130 lb, 3 ft tall *at the shoulders* dog? Don't try this at home), J to gymnastics (and writing for me there), and... since Jodi got to get one... A PEDICURE! (And writing during the pedicure. It almost makes it work.)

Finally I have to begin making some phone calls. Why can't people just pay on time? WHY do I have to call and say, "Look, I gave you 30 days after I shipped your glass to pay me, and you STILL didn't get a check to me on time. What's THAT all about?" I got a check from one place Saturday--on the 30th day exactly--and it was $800 short. Another that was due Monday--for only $150, you'd think they could manage that--hasn't come yet. *sigh* this may be one of the first positions I hire out. I'll get a guy named Vinnie...

6 comments:

Bill Paley said...

Perhaps you shouldn't ship until you receive payment? Hmm?

Brenda Griffith said...

Oh yeah, Like that works! Standard in my business is net 30. When I am more in demand, I can start being demanding. Until then, I nag.

andrea said...

When I take an order I get a credit card number even on net 30 deliveries. So far no one has balked at this at all -- I think businesses understand the desire to not send your merchandise out without any way to secure payment. I ask them if I can bill the card in 30 days or if they want to send a check. Every single time the store/gallery has said, "Bill the card." So, no late payments! Try it with your customers and see how it flies.

Jodi said...

Great new site look...and yay for pretty toes and smooth heels! What color are your toenails? I went with orange myself.

Brenda Griffith said...

I like the idea of taking the credit card number in advance, but I am unwilling to give them 30 days credit and then have to turn around and take the hit on the credit card fee at the end of 30 days. The terms I offer up front are Net 30 OR a credit card, not both--which doesn't mean I shouldn't still get the card as insurance. What really ticks me off on this one is that the customer has really serious penalties for late delivery of goods (5% discount in price for a day late). I would've thought they would also be good with payment. *sigh*

Jodi, the toenails are a dark sparkly CRIMSON makes me think wickedly sexy thoughts like Laurell K Hamilton! Dave seems to like it too. ;-)

Jodi said...

I'm not very knowledgeable about authors, so I Googled Laurell K. Hamilton. Well, I didn't even know she was an author. But, they sound really pretty!