Sunday, August 06, 2017

What a Sybaritic Day

Something else to build
I am pretty sure napping until 8 pm is not going to turn out to have been a very good idea. Dave also napped until after 7:30 and Jessie has been immersed in a 3-D rendering engine plug-in to a piece of video-editing software she likes to use so there was no one to put the sleep brakes on. Dave, good hunter gather that he is, is off to scope out the restaurants and grounds to see what dinner options exist. No, he is not checking out the population of massive black squirrels that roam the property for possible entrée options, he is looking to see if they have a BBQ going on the lawn tonight. Turns out there is no BBQ tonight, but there are both buffet and menu dining options in the cafe, and a pared-down version of the same menu in the pub.
Even the squirrels lounge here

I spent the day today carrying an unopened bottle of champagne around the resort from lounging pleasure spot to eating place to lounging pleasure spot, never quite feeling like opening it. I know! How did that happen?! First there was the hanging lounger outside the spa (the hanging bed was taken). Then there was the hanging bed. Then there was lunch. Then there was the lazy river in tubes. Then there was the epic nap. Now stirrings of appetite awaken and it might be time to go find food again. I'll probably be up till after midnight since I just finished sleeping for three hours (!), but who cares? This is vacation. The pets are all being lovingly spoiled by Zaga so there is no guilt, and I have a night and half a day left before I have to care about anything again. The effortless ballet of familial enjoyment goes on.

My first roost of the day
Oh, and tomorrow I'm going to harvest the cochineal bugs off of the cactus outside of our room here so I can make red dye out of them when we get home. I do not think, however, that I will try to raise them myself and start propagating my own cochineal. The amount of red dyestuff I will get tomorrow will probably be enough to dye one skein of embroidery-floss-sized yarn.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Next thing you'll tell me is that your are raising silkworms to make your own fabrics.

It seems like you're on a insect thing this year...

Brenda Griffith said...

The silkworm thing is so three years ago! I actually had someone give me some silkworm eggs that went into our fridge a few years back that we were supposed to take out when we were ready for them to hatch and become our silkworm farm (when there was a good supply of mulberry leaves). However Dave removed them on a fridge purge so we never got to raise them. Too bad as the eggs stay viable in the fridge for up to five years...

Bill said...

And have you put up any mulberries?