Thursday, August 03, 2017

Fine Woodworkers of Austin Association

Tonight was the first meeting I attended of the Fine Woodworkers of Austin Association. The presentation was on hand planes--a tool that I knew I needed to get, but was unclear about exactly which one to start with. Tonight cleared that up nicely for me--and there's even a hand planing class coming up the end of the month! I don't know if I'll take it--I'm kind of class-heavy right now--but I am looking forward to getting my hands on one and trying it out.

Today was (relatively) cool and overcast in Austin, and I didn't have to water any garden beds as we got good rain last night. I should've used the extra time this morning to set up the wood shop and unload the trailer, but I frittered. So tomorrow will be spent both in the glass studio on kiln loads--four orders to get out--and on wood shop set-up. Jessie worked in the apartment for me today getting the new beds made up and the dishes all washed and put away. We'll do pictures and make the listing live tomorrow.

Dave added to his t-shirt collection today and I am afraid to admit it, but I really like the new one. It has a picture of Josef Stalin and reads: Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it. Oh that's so wrong and so good at the same time.

Now the coyotes are singing out back, and I need to chill after a long day. Maybe I'll have a snack (dinner was a rushed bowl of tortellini with a bit of olive oil and parmesan several hours ago).

1 comment:

Bill said...

You know, I kind of think that that t-shirt would be even better were it depicting Mao Tse-tung with that tagline. But maybe I'm too literal.