Monday, January 22, 2018

Upcoming Projects Slooooow Style

Today is the beginning of my next chapter. Will it be a mystery? A whodunit? A comedy? A drama? For myself, I hope it will be if not boring, at least really calm. I hope it includes sleep and avoids deadlines. One of the first things it will contain is a hand spinning retreat in Destin. I will get to see old friends from Atlanta and I'll do nothing but sleep, eat, and spin for four days. What a great reset that will be! And I'm not even going to exhaust myself getting there this year as I'm going to fly this time.

While I'm there I'm going to finish up the spinning project I started last summer which got derailed with the onset of summer's medical issues and then the Fall and Winter of Great Endeavors. It's the mash-up of a bunch of different hand-dyed rovings from which I was going to knit a sweater. I started a sweater but don't like it so I'm going to tink it (that's knit it backwards) and make one of the knit swirl coats instead. I think I'll do a slightly larger version of this one. I like the drape, I like the flow. This will be a good match for the colorful yarn I'm spinning.

This is a bridle joint on the top corners of the table edge.
Sexy, huh?
Yesterday Dave, Jessie, and I finished the new layout of the sitting room which henceforth is to be called the Game Room. Today I puttered with the plans for the game table and picked up a few small tools I'll need. Tool shopping is always a treat, and since I finished the data.world gig I had a little spare cash. I thought I was going to do a square version of the one from the Wood Whisperer Guild, but it's just not quite what we want. So instead it looks like I'll take the features I like from it--the top frame with the bridle joints in the corners, the lifting mechanism to remove the inset table top,  and the tapered legs--and I'll pull other details in from other designs. It means I'll have to go to Sketchup to do the design, but we'll get exactly what we want.

There's a new urban lumber mill here in Austin that mills downed trees and I'm excited to be getting my wood from them. Their philosophy is pretty cool:

"Harvest Lumber Company produces quality lumber with wood waste from Central Texas. After years of seeing countless trees being mulched and plenty of buildings being demolished, we felt a call to save this material. As two professional woodworkers we were excited to develop a wood processing facility that could mill, dry and retail this precious material. As stewards of the environment and longtime Austinites, we felt drawn to make a positive impact in our community. Our transparent operation located in Central Austin demonstrates real recycling at work and offers a variety of products for sale to the public. Harvest Lumber Company provides resources and guidance to both professional and novice woodworkers.  We look forward to helping you begin your next woodworking project."

But now, to bed. The spouse is calling, and I must go.

2 comments:

Bill said...

We love re-purposing wood, too.

Franzeska said...

Great post. Optimism for fun, creative projects. You go girl.