Saturday, January 20, 2018

I Begin a Total Mental and Physical Reset

After a year of posting every day, I have really slacked off. Forgive me all, for I have sinned. It's been seven days since my last posting. The data.world project is done. The fashion show is done. The holidays are done. The art fair is done. It was a wild ride, and now it's done. I was very happy with the end of the data.world project. I did (almost) everything I wanted to, they loved the work, and I even was given my own sparkletar (Sparkle avatar). What do you think? Kali the Destroyer, mother of all things, that from which all things come, time, and death.

Today Dave and I worked on a reset of the house, putting away Christmas and cleaning. I had such high hopes for what we'd accomplish, and we only got through about half of my list. That's not to say we didn't do really, really well, but I was overconfident on what I thought we'd get to. I think Dave did a lot more than I did and he was very happy with our progress.

I took a break midway through the cleaning frenzy to suit up and check on the bees with Zaga. We looked at her hive first, and it was great. Then we looked at my top bar hive, and the combs were mostly empty of honey and larvae. I did find the queen, but they need fed. The Flow hive was next up and they had bountiful combs of capped honey and a lot of activity. Then we went to the hybrid. It was eerie. There were a couple of dead bees, and some bees who had died while chewing their way out of the cells (hatching). Other than that the hive was stripped clean. There were no bees, no honey, no larvae, just wax. The next hive was the Lang hive of the gentle golden bees, and it was the same as the hybrid: a few dead bees, and everything else looked like a bee ghost town. I was pretty upset by this point, but shouldered on to the last hive, another Lang. Like the top bar it was almost devoid of honey, but there were bees, and I think I even saw some larvae. I didn't take all the frames all the way out. I looked just enough to see that they were there and really needed food. So I mixed up a couple of entrance feeders with 2:1 sugar syrup, and I am starting to feed them.

Now it's the end of an evening spent en famille with Dave, Jessie, and Dave's parents who are visiting through Monday. Everyone else has gone to their nests to settle down for a cozy night of sleep. I want to do the same, but first I thought I'd take look forward through the spring until we go to Montana. What is next? Nothing really for this week other than getting ready for five days at the January Spin-In in Destin with a couple of friends. I got a notification today that I was not selected for the Austin Fine Arts Festival this spring. My Master Spinner Level 2 class has been moved from February to October. I'm at a bit of a loose end! Maybe I'll just enjoy it and drift along a bit not planning or thinking about anything... Yeah, right. I hope I have more energy and enthusiasm tomorrow. I need my groove back!

2 comments:

Bill said...

I mourn for your losses...

ellen abbott said...

bummer about the bees. I've been coasting for about a month but I'm starting to get antsy to start doing some things again.