Tuesday, January 23, 2018

An Unintended Project

I made no resolutions this year. More specifically, I didn't resolve to get in shape, eat better, or lose weight. That way, experience has always shown me, lies madness. And yet...

I just got home from an appointment with a nutritionist. I went to see her because I wanted help managing the food component of my diabetes. As part of the consult it came up that I would not be averse to losing weight. Not averse to, but pessimistic about the reality of. Carla, however, was a bubbling font of optimism, and I left the office with sample meal plans for breakfast, lunch and snack--I'm not messing with Dave's cooking other than to add more vegetables for me and have slightly smaller portions of his scrumptious entrees. Surprisingly, I can actually see myself losing weight by following this plan. Well, I guess that's not so surprising: you can succeed with all weight loss plans if you follow them! What I should have said is, I can see being able to easily follow this plan without too much effort, and If I do, I'll lose weight. Oh yes, I'll also better manage my diabetes.

In the past when I have dieted (aka paying attention to what I'm eating and counting/measuring it) I have wanted to restrict my intake such that I would lose at least three lbs a week and preferably five. Why do it if you can't do it quick was my younger self's motto. Realistic much? I approached working out the same way: 3-5 times a week, an hour a time. I'm an all-or-nothing, balls-to-the-wall kind of girl. And I failed at eating to lose weight and working out. Repeatedly.

But now maybe I'm older *and* wiser. The eating plan Carla put me on balances my carbs throughout the day and is targeted for a weight loss of 1 lb a week. While I'll barely notice that weight loss, looking at the foods I'm supposed to eat, I'll barely notice a change there either! The big rule for the diabetes is to eat carbs at every meal, and to always offset them with fat and/or protein. Her idea of a good breakfast for me is an egg, two slices of toast, a quarter of an avocado or an oz of cheese, a cup of milk, and a cup of raspberries. Wow! this morning on my way out the door I grabbed two mini croissants and two pieces of Laughing Cow cheese. According to her plan I'm about 238 calories short for the meal... Happy Day!

So now I have My Fitness Pal on my phone, and I'll start tracking my food and carbs to make sure I eat well and regularly. Oh yeah, and I might lose some weight too! Oh, for that working out thing? I go to the gym 1-2 days a week (I shoot for two) and work with a trainer who kicks my butt. Maybe 2018 will see less of me than did previous years!

2 comments:

Bill said...

I will be very, very proud of you when you start losing a pound a week!

ellen abbott said...

losing weight has never been a problem for me. If I skip lunch twice a week I'll lose a pound or two. and it's not like I eat sparingly. I eat a lot. but I don't snack. anyway, losing weight isn't a problem. gaining weight is. I find it hard to gain and keep a healthy weight. I eat more than my sister who would like to shed a few pounds but can't. I just have a high metabolism I guess. and before anyone goes all rhapsodic about wishing they had my problem, I also have osteoporosis which stems from low body weight.