Friday, November 14, 2008

The Artist Market Cometh

Some chardonnay (Dave says it's the "king of wines") in the Reidel stemless white wine glass, Dave playing the Donnas' "New Kid In School" on Rock Band 2 for my music. I have my feet up and am posting after the opening two hours of the Waldorf School Holiday Fair Artist Market. I had a realization this morning as I was gearing up for the day. With my uber organized, detail-oriented personality, I am incapable of matching effort to event. It doesn't matter if I'm doing the Buyer's Market of American Craft or a tiny school craft show in a basement room with burned out florescent lights, I put 100% thought, planning and angst into it.

I also can't sell old work. Apparently I am not just bored by making it. I sold one piece tonight and it was a platter in one of the newest colorways (Tropical) cut-down from a large panel and slumped. What to do, what to do. I think I'll follow Becky's suggestion and take a bunch of new work in tomorrow too.

Jessie did very well tonight. She only sold two necklaces, but she traded three necklaces a pin and a ring for a really cool crystal, feather, leather and copper piece from another artist. That's my girl--already figured out the best part of shows is the trading. Pics are of her just after set-up and getting the first check for her work. Yeah she smiles now, wait till it bounces... (just kidding). Now it's 11:30 and I need to get to be to get some sleep before tomorrow when we get to do it all again.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Playing Rock Band is part of making glassware?

Who knew?