Monday, July 21, 2008

The Birthday

Coffee of indifferent caliber in a small Styrofoam cup, the waterfall on the first floor of the C'Mon Inn for music. I sit on the small balcony off of our room and endeavor not to panic at the upcoming day. Today is my father's 80th birthday and I have planned a surprise dinner party for him at Finn & Porter. I had nightmares about it all night last night. I dreamed that there were three floors of party, Russian waiters, and hundreds of people pouring in--too many to count and I didn't know any of them. Add to that that I kept getting driven away from the party with tons still to do and dropped off far away with no way to get back except to walk--even though I knew it was a dream and I should be able to just place myself back at the party, I couldn't. And in the dream I had forgotten to get a cake... and I woke in a sweat to the realization that I forgot to order a cake. Thank heaven for Bernice's Bakery. In Atlanta we have Southern Sweets and rely on them heavily for all celebratory baked goods. I am happy to find my hometown has not let me down and I'll be able to get a couple of cakes at Bernice's to feed the 26 people coming to dinner...

After this morning's trip top Bernice's we are heading to the restaurant--I haven't been there since it was taken over by Finn & Porter and redecorated--to pick out the wines and appetizers and look over the room for decorating. Once I have seen the room we'll go get flowers, balloons, etc. to decorate it with. I think I'll also get paper and markers and set Jessie to make a birthday sign that we can have everyone write their names and a message on for him to take home.

Why am I stressing so much about this party? I have no idea. Probably some deep Freudian thing about daughters seeking validation through their father's approbation. Whatever. None of this has anything to do with glass--and probably won't today even though I have great Internet connectivity again.

Tomorrow I'll finish the new firing schedule (two asap orders came in over the past week that I need to get out before Philly) and I still have about half of my work for the Philly show to get done in the few days following my return from Montana. Off to hyperventilate...

2 comments:

Bill said...

Stress is your life. Your subconscious was probably champing at the bit to irritate you over SOMETHING, and the party manages to be just barely stressful enough.

Dee said...

what is it about major events and dreams? i hate having dreams about events where i've not brought what i should have, showed up late, etc.

so, i'm not the only one scrambling to finish getting ready for philly? :)

at least we get to relax for a bit in the airport and on the plane...
D