Tuesday, April 24, 2007

How Long Have I Been Doing Shows?

Coffee in the Denver skyline mug, "Choctaw Hayride" by Alison Krauss and Union Station on iTunes. If you don't know the song, it's a good one. Lightning-fast pace for the morning. Fitting. So how long have I been doing shows? It's a rhetorical question, but the answer is "too long to be making blunders like this one". What did I do? Well yesterday afternoon--four and a half days before I leave for Vegas--I discovered that the list of pieces I have been making for the show does not include pieces for the new metal stands that I unpacked yesterday. Which is to say I was 11 large pieces short yesterday afternoon with pretty full firing schedule between then and Saturday. As Bugs would say, "What a maroon!".

I re-did the list for the pieces in stands and got the load in the kiln by 10:30 last night. Now I look forward to three more late nights in the studio because it takes 20-22 hours for a firing in Big Bertha so today's load won't go in till late, nor tomorrow's. Thursday is the final slump load and that takes less time so I should be able to get everything out and shipped Friday.

In the interests of seeing what else I might have screwed up, after I finish posting I am going to go down and inventory all the pieces I have done the past couple of weeks. I need to make sure I have everything I am supposed to ship for two gallery orders this week. I also have a local consignment delivery (Sabra) to do today, and a door closing and a door opening: Becky Sizemore has closed Creative Spirit in Decatur for good, and my work has been picked up by Alexia, a gallery a couple of doors down. So I pick up from one and deliver to the other. Though there isn't much to pick up from Becky's--she had a sale last week and much of my work went. Alexia may have to wait till I get back from Vegas.

I was going to finish today with a pic of one of the new stand pieces--a 12X14 Pacifica rectangular piece in a Nouveau stand. If I had been able to, you would have noticed the clean lines and lack of weld on the front. However, since I am still DITZING around with my photography set-up, you won't see any pics till tomorrow... if I'm lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brings a whole new meaning to "firings".

Pink slip in the mail?