Thursday, January 04, 2007

Why Blog?

Coffee in the Washington DC skyline mug, "Gone Again" by the Indigo Girls on iTunes. I have never been so efficient at getting things done while making absolutely no progress on the essential, core list. Christmas is away. The house has never been more organized--with the exception of the office which is still a pit. But the studio...

Well, let's concentrate on the positive. Started the new wall sconce yesterday by making the mold. Sure hope it works as I am out of the rigidizer and the vendor doesn't ship during the winter as it is harmed by freezing. Did the glass inventory. Wow. We won't be moving any time soon! And I just unpacked and cut six of the *95* sheets of clear irid that came in in December... and that's enough of a task list for the day.

Someone asked me yesterday about my blogging. Do I find it a good way to keep in touch with people? It's kind of an online diary, right? Well, no, not really. Sure there may be days when all that gets posted is what's to do, what's not done (ack, ack, ack!), etc. But the real point of blogging for me is to get to the point beneath the lists. It grounds and centers me. It's both a release and a reliever of anxiety. It's venue for exploration of a philosophy which might otherwise remain just a fleeting idea.

It's a place to exercise my brain through communication. I don't get out much. There are many days when what I put here is my only interaction (one-sided though it is) with the outside world.

And though I write quite a bit, it usually takes me all the way to the end to come out with the kernel at the center of the thought spiral. Blink and you'll miss it.

And I blog because, after all this time, I have discovered that I really do like to write. I just don't like being told what to write or how to write. So it's a good thing I am neither in school nor writing professionally. Oh wait a minute...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you get published, THEN you're a professional.

Sounds like avoidance is going on, doesn't it?

Brenda Griffith said...

Oh of course! Or is it philosophy, posing as avoidance?