Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happy Solstice!

Coffee in the Montreal Skyline mug--it's in French!--"What I Like About You" by the Romantics transitioning into "Fox on the Run" by Sweet on iTunes (the latter of these is too embarrassing even for the Shame playlist). The first firing of the preschool coasters is done and they look great! This morning I am going to drop off the sample squares I made and let them layer them and talk about how the design changes depending on which one you put on top. A nice introduction to dimension and perspective that would probably be more effective if they weren't still adjusting to a new classroom and new peers. Their little brains can only handle so much new at a time.

I still haven't heard from the publisher since I sent my project list in a couple of weeks ago. We were supposed to have a phone conversation, but I think I have fallen through the cracks. It is now firmly in the last half of June and I do not have a schedule of interim deadlines, a final approval of the projects, a complete outline (or the assignment to do an outline)... zip, zilch, nada.

I put together a schedule for a clear-glass test firing and have been following it, but I think all it was doing was giving me a false sense of security. I know what the photographer is going to want for the book: a finished piece, one or more mid-state photos (which means one or more copies of the piece finished to that state ready to photograph), and a photograph of me doing a beginning or interim stage. Each photo will more than likely require its own version of the project.

So if I really want to get this book done--and since I have not been given any direction from the publisher--today I am not only going to cut the three versions of the wall sconce and fire/comb one of them, I am also going to make a stages list for each of the other projects and begin prepping (cutting, etc.) that number of each of them. This activity will require a substantial amount of storage space, but I still have an unused wire shelving unit that I will dedicate to holding projects.

Last night I decided the final colors on all but two of the projects, and I settled on a fountain design. I have had so many ideas for different kinds of glass fountains that I could probably make a book of just glass fountain projects! But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Today I will go to Home depot and buy copper tubing and something to bend and pierce it with--I hope. If not, I will have to switch designs again.

I never did get to Creative Spirit to break down my show yesterday so that has to happen today too. It was 93 degrees yesterday afternoon, and I just wasn't up to it. It's supposed to be in the 90's today too. *sigh*


Good thing it is the longest day of the year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't the "kids" project count as one for the book?