Friday, February 06, 2009

Snap Out Of It!


I was compelled to start the post with another movie quote this morning, I'm not sure when I'll be back to coffee and music (though coffee is in the Denver architect series mug and "That Smell" by Lynyrd Skynyrd is on iTunes). We are in the midst of the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" and the upheaval is leaking over into my posting. I feel the anticipation that life is about to change dramatically for us, and yet, at the same time, life goes on. The other gazelles in the herd look at us with mingled pity and horror as the lioness rips our guts out, and we think, "So this is what it feels like. It's not as bad as we thought it would be." in almost relief.

But in spite of the train wreck potential in our personal life, Siyeh Studio chugs along. Orders and requests for information on this year's new work come in almost daily, and the kilns are filled to capacity--when I can overcome my mental entropy enough to fill and fire them. Entropy in my mind has been my biggest challenge this week. The rational part of my brain knows that though some things will have to change, fundamentally we will be fine. But my limbic system is in overdrive and my sympathetic nervous system is preparing for full-on fight or flight. Focusing long enough to get four kilns loaded and fired, bookkeeping straightened out, UPC codes, hang tags and vendor communication managed--and get in ad copy and photo for a NICHE Green co-op--has been difficult.

Off to find my happy place, deliver glass to Todd, fill kilns, and prepare for Lee (the glassblower) to come to the studio this afternoon to fuse some blown glass pieces.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More like shock and admiration - although gazelle sounds way too elegant for me...

v.

Dee said...

keep reaching for the happy place and try to put the other worries aside before you walk in the door of the studio. it's difficult but we have only a few days left before liftoff ;)
D

Bill said...

Don't make me come out there and kick you in the ass!

Get to work, woman! Your clients demand it!