Saturday, October 24, 2009

Glass Resource Center Opening Day!

No coffee as I'm not yet sure why I'm up, the heavy throttle of Ernie's purrs and occasional grumbles (as I stop petting him to type with both hands--it's bad enough that I'm a four finger typist on a good day, going down to two is just too much) for music. Day One of the Siyeh Glass Resource Center Grand Opening is over, now is l'aube of Day Two (literally--and I don't mean the cassock). Day One went perfectly save for one hitch, and even that one was minor enough we didn't break a sweat over it.

The studio day started for me when the phone rang at 7:10 as I was in the shower (of course I got out, hair dripping wet, and answered it). It was Lee and he had the news that something happened with the program in the glass furnace and it had shut off and was back down to 745 degrees. I finished up, dried off and hustled over only to not be able to figure out why the temp wouldn't go higher in the ramp/hold program. FInally I broke down, switched the controller over from automatic to manual (sometimes a real person just needs to take the controls), and fired that puppy up. If I have time today (I hope not), I'll putter with it. But, really, the best thing to do is just leave it going on manual and futz with it next week.

I didn't get to stay at the studio then, I had to rush back home, make Jessie's lunch and breakfast, and get her off to school. THEN the studio day really began, and it began with a vengeance. With the best will in the world, I had not been able to get all the pricing sheets and other papers done the night before. I collapsed at 11:00 so tired I was almost hallucinating. Come to think of it, that's how I was last night too! I sense an unfortunate pattern that must end. We also didn't have the last of the straightening, any of the sweeping, or a host of other things done so Becky, Lori, and Todd set to with a vengeance. Then Christie came and took Todd grocery shopping for all the munchables and he made a BEAUTIFUL spread.

And we swept, and cleaned, and carted boxes of stuff to the shed and the shipping room, and printed out price lists and cleaned off the desk and the counter, and by the time the first visitors arrived, we were ready! And the traffic was slow and steady all day. I had enough time to interact with everyone, give tours, talk about glass, write up sales and graze the lovely buffet. It rained, but who cares?

Today should be a gorgeous, cool, fall day. Dee is coming to help (in fact she's calling right now from Starbuck's where she is acquiring the box of coffee) and Todd is still here. Brian Renoud will be doing beadmaking demos today, life is good.

Now I had better get dressed and get over there to prepare for another big day!

10 comments:

Bill said...

Hooray for the new income stream!

You're well on your way to make your neighborhood the new art colony of Georgia...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me and Danny hang out for so long. Danny was really excited about the whole thing. I hope he wasn't the hitch!

Geri Omohundro said...

Love the hair on fire saying... I can identify with it. In fact, reading your blog about how busy you are helps me get thru my crazy day...

Cheers to the new biz, may it be full and rewarding in all ways and nourish your spirit as well as your bank account!

Cynthia Morgan said...

Hey--congrats on your opening. It looks gorgeous and I wish I'd been able to be there. This isn't just a moneymaking venture--you're helping people find their art, making it easier for them to buy what they need and connect with a sympathetic community. Pretty big stuff in my book. Once again, congrats!

ren said...

i LOVE that sign. sadly, i've actually....well, nevermind.

have fun, enjoy the beginning of a groovy new thing!

Anonymous said...

think I have lost my husband, Carol, anyone seen him ?

Brenda Griffith said...

"think I have lost my husband, Carol, anyone seen him ?"

LOL Yes, Judy, he's back today hanging out in the hotshop with Lee. I think he's going to blow a piece. But I'm sure you'll get him back in time for dinner!

Brenda Griffith said...

Oh Ren, so have I. Literally. And it's not a story for the blog either ;-)

Jodi said...

Wow, Brenda. I don't know how I got so far behind in reading your blog (don't feel bad, my reader is up to 1000+ and some have 30-40 entries I haven't skimmed & probably won't) and it looks like you are up to lots of exciting things! Congrats and I'll try to be a better reader and commenter! : )

Unknown said...

Congratuations from the Farrar's. Prosper and be happy!!!

MONYMAN & Family