Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Talking With the Taxman

Coffee in the Los Angeles skyline mug, "Greetings to the New Brunette" by Billy Bragg from Talking With the Taxman About Poetry playing. Happy Tax Day! Glad it's all behind me for another year (though I am pretty sure V has some sharp words for me about getting her my Quickbooks file so she can keep me up to date). I spent two hours on Monday morning bringing my accountant up to date on both the business and personal rats' nests (two hours!) and then I just walked away.

As I wrote before I left for Spring Break, I got a big glass delivery in the pouring rain--the same continuously pouring rain that has flooded the basement/crawl space at the studio Pics are of the rainy delivery and the subsequent flooding (the flooding pic was taken a week later--after the initial soaking. It's all been under water since then). See how the hot water heater is under water? I have a pump in there now and hope to have it emptied out today. And I finally have the name of a good plumber who will come out and manually light the hot water heater once it's all dried out. This is what it's all about, this small art/craft business ownership, keeping afloat.

It's a beautiful day in Atlanta and tomorrow I start a four-day workshop with Johnathon Schmuck on the roll-up technique hosted by Glass Inspirations and Duckbill Studios. I am so excited! Even though Dave will be home from Austin for the weekend and I won't see much of him (the class will run long), it's still going to be a great weekend. Jessie is looking forward to some one-on-one daddy time so it will all work out well.

This is truly a year of professional development for me--first this workshop (the second one I've taken in about ten years--and the first one [for a variety of reasons] doesn't really count), then BECon followed by a post-conference workshop on lost wax casting, finishing up with a week long Bullseye Instructor workshop. Bliss. Just bliss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink. I guess I am lucky, when it rains hard here, I only get about 1/2 of water under the garage doors. Have to set the fans up and sweep it out and can get back to work after about 2 hrs. Sorry you are having problems with water. After having such a long drought tho, I imagine that the plumbers are having a feild day correcting problems around the area. Good Luck in finding one soon. Sounds like vacation was cool and the educational periods sound like fun also. Good Luck.

MONYMAN & Family

Dee said...

happy tax day ;) hopefully we don't get any more rain for a few days so you can get the crawl space dried out and the heater restarted ;P enjoy the roll up class ;)
D

Bill said...

I wonder if that was a hundred-year flood, or a two-year?