Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Post and Then Off To the races!

High-octane, full-throttle coffee with heavy organic whipping cream in the Atlanta skyline mug, "Come Back" by the J. Geils Band on iTunes. After last night/early this morning in the studio I deserve the real stuff. I leave tomorrow am early for BECon in Portland and before I get back there are *18* orders to ship. Becky the Wunder Assistant is going to have her hands full.

And speaking of the Wunder Assistant, I have worn her out. My needs for help in the studio have grown tremendously in the two years since Stacy started as the first Wunder Assistant and I am now at the point where I need a regularly scheduled person in the studio at least four hours a day. I started posting on this topic first thing yesterday morning and then got carried away by the day. Got to finish up before today takes me over. Whoops, looked at the clock and have a meeting in 15 minutes and I still have to talk to Bill about our upcoming orders and the Dallas June Market that he is kindly attending in my place as I will be in Portland. Then the carpenters arrive, then, then, then--and the day will be lost again. I'm going to cut my losses, put up the post as is and come back to the topic later. Here are yesterday's musings tacked on for good measure:

__________________

Lefteas Yellow Dog Democrat tropical rooibos in the Washington DC mug, "All For You" by Sister Hazel on iTunes. No post Friday 'cause I was just too swamped. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel (don't go to the light!) and I just might come up for air into the light to mangle metaphors yet! Dave just ran J to Circus Camp for another fun-filled week, and I'm off on Wednesday to BECon.

Today's big topic: The move to regular employees. I have had wunder assistants for the past couple of years, and Becky (the current incarnation of the WA) has picked up as much as she can, but working for me isn't her life's goal or even a stepping stone on the way to her life's goal--or even a temporary fun thing. I am now at the point where I need a regular half-time glass business groupie. Glass blowing studios get groupies all the time. They have no shortage of people who hang around and are willing to work at anything just for the privilege of hanging out and maybe blowing. Kiln-forming needs more groupies, but we're just not sexy enough.

I need someone in the studio at least half-time to answer the phone, prep the kilns, empty the kilns, ship orders (including entering the shipments into UPS), manage inventories... (and I was swallowed by the day).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Move to Tulsa and I will be your groupie!!!

I would love to learn from you.

MONYMAN

Bill said...

Does Dave count as a kiln-forming groupie?