Friday, January 06, 2012

Studio Chicks, Buns, and a Cold

For those who look at Glass Incarnate more or less daily, you will see that I have been cheating all year and slipping in backdated posts. The Year in Review and Upcoming Year posts  always take a lot of time, but I want them to be linked to the day of Intent to Publish rather than the day of publication. I know it's confusing but try to keep up--and I hope to have the Upcoming Year post up tomorrow.

Yesterday it warmed up a little, and my cold seemed to be going away. The day started with getting Char off to the vet to be tutored, and then driving on down the road for the first KGRC meeting of the year with Lori and Judy. We reviewed the business process, partnership and class information Gail and Stacey at Wired Designs in San Antonio shared with us over three days in December. (I was only there for a short day, but Lori stayed at Gail's house, and Gail and Stacey both opened their brains and their business model to her.) We put together some classes, talked a bit about how we're going to work on the book (Lori has volunteered to work on the projects and techniques sections with me), and talked loosely of our goals for the upcoming year.

When we got back to the studio, I was overjoyed to find the first egg from one of our chickens--go Tuxedo! It was small and white (and looked a little pitiful nestled in among the big, brown organic ones we've been getting from Publix), but Jessie was happy to have it for breakfast this morning. Char finished surgery early and could come, and it looked like the day couldn't get better. I was right. It couldn't. (Though the first interactions of Char with his progeny were very cute--they went right up to him, groomed him, and snuggled in to take a nap!)

Round about 6:00 pm my cold swooped back with a vengeance, and it has been so bad--coughing, sore throat, congestion, head ache and fatigue--that I finally had to cancel my meeting in Commerce with Bill and Elaine set for this morning to go over the progress we've made on our new designs for the February BMAC. I rescheduled for Monday, which means I have to reschedule Dee from Monday to Wednesday--if she's available--to work on stenciling for her new show work and some book projects too. Tuesday is the first day of the jewelry-making class I'm taking up at Spruill.

This morning I finally dragged myself out of bed about 9:18 (really), and Mom (who is as sick as I am) and I toddled off to the studio to clean up after my Christmas project (a present for Mom) of a custom-stenciled-acid-etched-hand-dyed-velvet fabric sewn into a three-piece outfit. I am still in midst of the acid-etching part. Never one to try something for the first time in a reasonable size like, say, a SCARF, I seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take to stencil and acid-etch four yards of 45" wide fabric. Ah well, live and learn! I had hoped to finish the etching today so I could permanently remove it from the worktable in the classroom in order to be ready for my kiln-forming glass date this afternoon at 4:30. But given how I don't have the energy to be on my feet for more than 10 minutes at a time, I think I am going to have to just clean it up and put it back out another day. *sigh*


Bill said...

It is SUCH a PITY that they don't have DOCTORS in Atlanta, isn't it?

Brenda Griffith said...

At first it was just an annoying cold, then it was getting better, then it got HORRIBLE--but unless I want to go to urgent care, I can't get in to see a doctor for it before it's over. And then there's the insurance thing--Dave's company just switched insurance plans and while we are covered, we don't have any idea how to use it. Oh, and I don't have a fever.

Bill said...

Urgent Care, then. Urgently.

carol h said...

Having Char tutored, didn't know Vets did that.