Sunday, February 04, 2018

Days, a Week, and Energy

I love Sunday night. The previous week has ended and everything gets to start anew Monday morning. I don't really have a concept of weekend vs. weekday anymore. I realize that for Dave and Jessie there is a clear distinction between the two, but all days have the same potential for amazing fun and adventure for me. The time segment of a week still exists, and individual days mean different things: Monday and Wednesday are workout days, Wednesday also has a piano lesson, Thursday has ceramics class, now Saturday has an informal furniture-making/woodworking class, and Sunday night is time to bask in the plans for a new week, but weekday and weekend not so much.

I used to hate Sunday nights. When we first moved to Austin in '98, I was working as a software engineer for Business Objects and I traveled every week to client sites. I flew out Monday morning, flew home Friday evening, and cried every Sunday afternoon in dread of the upcoming week. Now it's Jessie's turn. I watch her withdraw and get blue starting Sunday afternoon/evening. I wish there were something I could do for her to make it better, but this is one of those things she's going to have to figure out on her own.

This week I have noticed something else about Sunday: it's the day when my energy is the lowest in the week. Last Monday I did my first B12 injection myself and it was an incredible day. Tuesday and Wednesday I felt like I had more energy than usual, and Thursday I was back to normal. Friday, however,  I started falling asleep whenever I sat for any length of time, and today I got up late, took a nap in the car, and another one later in the afternoon. I have no doubt that I'll go right to sleep tonight. I wish the B12 was more time release--or that I took injections more often!

I mentioned above that I'm taking an informal furniture-making/woodworking class on Saturday. Yesterday was my first one, and I prepared for it by finishing my games table design Thursday night and then going down to purchase wood at Berdoll Sawmill on Friday afternoon. Last summer I went to Dupuis Lumber in Polson for the blue pine slabs and rough sawn lumber for a bed and desk. I loved it there and never thought I would find anything like it in Austin, and then I found Berdoll! They specialize in sustainable native Texas hardwood natural edge slabs. The picture of their staff at right was taken next to a set of walnut slabs from one tree.

For the games table, I chose an 8" wide 8/4 board of curly pecan, another 8/4 pecan board for the legs, and some 8/4 mesquite for the apron and accents for the legs. I'll use maple plywood for the top and the bottom. While I was there I lusted after the mesquite slab at the top left of this post. It's 93" tall and 63" wide, and I think it would make the most incredible corner desk! There was a desk in their office that was also made from a slab and I was impressed by the artistry of the edges. In one place there should have been a cut edge, but instead it looked like it had been wind and water sculpted. I asked about it and was told it had been carved to look like that. Maybe if they still have the mesquite slab I like when I finish the games table, the liquor cabinet/bar, and the bed...

2 comments:

Bill said...

I take it you have no storage area that would hold the mesquite slab?

ellen abbott said...

I know what you mean about no distinction between the week and the weekend. they're all just days. except that I have to remember that the feed store and the hardware store in this small town close at noon on Saturdays and aren't open at all on Sundays.