Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Twas the Day After Christmas and All Through the House...

Yesterday we could see the mountains of Glacier
It's freezing in here--well, 52 degrees anyway (inside--26 outside). I have become my parents: they kept our house 50 degrees at night and 62 during the day. I hated it when I was growing up, and Jessie hates it now, but I strangely like it. Fortunately for Jessie, the radiant heat from the floor in the basement keeps her room and bathroom a bit warmer. Today looks like a good day to try out a fire in the stove down there too. There is a vent in the dining room on the main floor for passive heat from it. Today we'll see how well it works. 

Snowing this morning!
I am going on and on about the temperature as this is one of the first mornings I have been out of bed before 9:00 am. I wake early, but it's so cozy under the down comforter that I hang and read for awhile before getting up. This morning, however, I had someone coming to service the gas fireplace on the main floor--our main source of heat--so I was up and dressed by 8:00. I turned on the heat, made coffee, and watched it snow while waiting for the guys. Sadly they forgot to tell me that the unit needed to be cold for them to take it apart and clean it so off they went, promising to return sometime next week. Back to the snow. It's snowing!! Little, fine flakes, but snow!

This Christmas was one of our best ever. I usually overdo, buy too many presents (spend too much money), and burn both myself and everyone around me out. This year we stuck to two presents and stockings, each and it was glorious. Dave got hiking poles for us and we started the afternoon with a long walk up the hill behind our house (it's tribal conservation land). Then, for the first time, we walked around our own property. Wow is it big!! Turi is gong to be one happy horse. The former owner created little resting/viewing areas and cairns across the property which are just stunning--and so fun to stumble upon while walking. our land is also mostly hill slopes so we followed animal trails up and down and around.

Dave and the Pablo Reservoir on our walk
Today I begin work on Dave's Christmas present. I learned my lesson about the necessity for proper fittings from the sweater I knitted him a few years ago, and this year's effort is too precious to waste. Details tomorrow...

Enjoying my new walking poles



The happy campers

Dave heading to the top of the hill





1 comment:

Bill said...

Great pictures!