Tuesday, November 01, 2011

NaBloPoMo and Writing

If I don't post now I might miss the first day of NaBloPoMo!

I can't remember right now what I did today--it was a blur. There were accounts receivable to reconcile (and calls to make, and emails to send). There were bills to pay, taxes to file, and checks to receive (yay!). It was altogether a non-auspicious start-day for NaBloPoMo.

One thing I didn't do today--in fact I mentally blocked on it--was to print out, sign and fax/mail my book contract in. I appear to be dragging my feet. Why? Well, it's a HUGE commitment and I am a bit afraid of the impact it will have on my life. Didn't I just vow (sometime in the past few months) to slow down? Writing a 240 page book with all high-level subject matter is NOT slowing down. It will consume my life, my time, my business. Dave says it will be fine. He is fully behind me. Has he forgotten what the last book (half this size) was like? Is this like the masculine version of childbirth for him? It must be, otherwise he'd never be willing to do it again (and no one would either write books or have children and our species would become illiterate and die out--take your pick as to which would come first).

I am terrified of the impact this oeuvre will have on my and my family's lives. Right now--to be honest--I am sorry I ever brought it up. But I did. I brought it up and more. And now I have a contract for it and I need to sign it, send it back, put on my big-girl panties and get writing.

Here's to fortitude... (And I thought I didn't have anything to say!).

4 comments:

Bill said...

Quit your bitching and get to it!


(How's that for tough love?)

Cynthia Morgan said...

Lemme know if you need help.

Brenda Griffith said...

Cynthia, you know I do! I'm hoping to come out and hang with you again soon and do some intensive casting.

Cynthia Morgan said...

So...get you a ticket for an airplane. Or you've got time to take a fast train. Either way, the guest room awaits.

Hey...bring Dave and Jesse. Do a train trip from Atlanta to Portland in sleeper cars. Make it a vacation. YEAH!!!!