Saturday, June 16, 2018

The Child is Traveling

Inside the C'mon Inn
Just back from Missoula after seeing the child off to Atlanta for two weeks. Because her flight was at 6:15 this morning, we stayed overnight at the C'mon Inn (as it is Jessie's favorite for the indoor pool, multiple hot tubs, and overall cool decor--it's also close to the airport and we had a two-room suite) and I took her to the airport this morning.

I swear I must be flagged by Missoula TSA. Last time I was taking Jessie to the plane there I got into a "discussion" with the person checking id's as there was only one person checking ids and there were probably nine people standing around by the luggage carrier and the screening machine all doing basically nothing. Meanwhile there were two long lines of people--one TSA pre-check--which J was not, and one regular, waiting to get through the id checkpoint. As long as there was anyone in the pre-check line they got to go in front of the non-TSA line--even if they just walked up to the line. After watching person after person get to walk up and go in front of our line, I finally asked to talk to a supervisor. Nothing happened other than more "discussion", but that's how things go.

The old and the new in downtown Missoula
So that was last time. This time we waited in the ticket counter line for over 20 minutes (just to drop off baggage--we had already checked in) because for some reason everyone who checked in at the kiosks then had to go through the main line and check in again. And there were only two agents. Today I kept my cool figuring they would just have to hold the plane if they ran late checking us all in. We were the last ones checked through before they closed the counter as it took our agent awhile to print me out a pass to go to the gate with J. You'd think I would have learned my lesson from last time. Don't go to the gate!

Missoula has special crossing signs
We got to the id checkpoint and sailed through. We took off our shoes, and placed everything in bins. I had been careful not to wear one of my Holy Clothing dresses because even if that's all I'm wearing (I know, TMI) it always sets off the photo machine thingie where you have to stand with your hands up and then they have to pat me down. This happened to me so many times that I got a known-traveler number just to be able to always have TSA pre-check and avoid those scanners.

The baleful moose
But you don't get to use your KT number when you're not traveling, so I wore knit capris and a tank top. Even so the scanner saw something in my "groin area" so they had to pat me down. Then they tested my hands for explosive's residue and... THAT scan came back positive! (WTH?) At this point I told Jessie to just go on up to her plane as I had no idea how long the rest of it was going to take (they offered to take me to a private room for the next part, I refused). Then another person gave me a REALLY thorough pat down followed by a detailed examination of the contents of my purse (wallet, phone, keys) and a wipe down of my phone to check it for residue. I held it together, remained quiet and polite (mostly), but this procedure really makes me come unspooled and it happens to me all the time! Luckily I did get up to the gate in time to give Jessie a hug and a kiss and to see her off. She was the last one on the plane and they closed the gate behind her.

Goodies from the farmer's market
When I left the airport I stopped by the Starbucks across from the motel for a venti iced latte. There were--no kidding--five sheriff's cars in the parking lot at 6:15 am. The girl at the window said they come there every day at the end of their shift. So if you're ever in Missoula at 6:00 am and you need to go somewhere really safe, hit up the Starbucks on Reserve and I-90. After grabbing my latte, I hied myself back to the motel for a couple more hours of sleep snuggled in with my warm, snoozy spouse.

One of the hanging baskets
I had been looking forward all week to going to the Missoula Farmer's market, but it was cloudy and damp when I took J to the airport and actively raining when Dave and I got up. I went back and forth on should we stay or should we go (we didn't have jackets or umbrellas), but decided in the end that we are hardy folk and don't need no stinking umbrella's. Off we went to the Old Post for breakfast with Steve Adler. Above our table was the obligatory moose and he gave me the stink eye all through breakfast.

Hanging basket and other flowers
When we were done, we hit up the liquor store and then headed to the farmer's market. It is worth noting that Montana is an interesting state when it comes to liquor stores. While you can buy packaged liquor at bars and some stores, it is all distributed to the bars and package stores through the state-run liquor stores so you can only buy what the state decides to carry. It's great if you're looking for a local huckleberry liqueur or spiced gin (we have a plethora of western Montana distilleries), but if you want Luxardo sangue morlacco or Creme de Violette, you're out of luck. I'm just going to have to see if I can get some of our upcoming visitors to bring us some.

Anyway, at the market we bought by a pound of lovely, fresh, morel mushrooms, little carrots, tiny cukes, red bibb and oak leaf lettuces, colorful little heirloom tomatoes, and local chorizo and brats (not children, German-style sausages). I even got a few purple and sweet basil plants for the garden. All this was after going to the Polson Farmer's Market yesterday and loading up on hanging baskets and flowers for the deck (already planted, thank you very much).

Tonight we are having our neighbor Arlene over for dinner. Dave is going to make beef stroganoff with the shrooms, we're going to have Kir Ursine (like Kir Royale but with huckleberry liqueur and sparkling wine) with a smoked salmon dip made from local sockeye salmon to start, and strawberry sabayon for dessert.

Speaking of food, it is the summer of the preserve for me! I am going to make small-batch pickles of various vegetables, and preserves, compotes, jams, and chutneys from the bounty of the local markets.

2 comments:

Bill said...

With respect to TSA, the Ontario Airport didn't bother to post signs about the change in their search parameters so I was accosted and searched because of the technology I had in my bag. When I returned from Phoenix, they had posted an up-to-date sign and I saw that they wanted the iPad, Nook, and computer out for examination separately.

ellen abbott said...

I'm recently back from 3 weeks in Portugal and either coming or going, I don't remember, I set off the scanner, I don't know why, I was wearing leggings and a blouse and barefoot, and got the wand treatment...hands, up one side and down the other. Most times when I travel they assign me TSA precheck but not this time.